Saturday, May 19, 2007

Would you like to see a dragon?

So much has happened since I last wrote to you all! I have visited three different beaches in one week... but that isn't even the whole story of my past week. I am just going to go through my journal and try to hit all of the highlights. Last Sunday, Rosa (my mom here), Leo (my big brother), Rocio (my sister), and Alison, Leo's baby, took me to the beach for the first time! We went to Playa Real, a local beach near La Garita. It was incredibly beautiful, complete with mini islands out in the water and rocks that started to peek through the water as the tide receded. It was so beautiful! On our way back, we were in the family car and one of the tires broke (yes, broke... I don't even know how), so we sat on the side of the road until someone came to help us. It certainly made for an interesting end to the trip! Alison (two years old) has grown on me and I on her, and she has become an adorable bundle of Spanish babbling that I simply do not understand. We just look at each other and make faces and laugh. :-) Fressi, my neighbor friend, came over and gave me a newspaper that she found that was in Spanish and English, so that was neat! Okay, wow, and let me just tell you about the bugs. I can't even count my bugbites, but my family refers to me as a "light" that attracts all of the bugs. 'Bichos", they are called, and they seem to love me. I have certainly been humbled by these little creatures -- I started to realize how much of a bad attitude they would put me in and then thought, what does that say about my opinion of my Lord? He is SO MUCH BIGGER than those petty little bugs! And he doesn't bite. Even better.

My school had exams week this week, aka stress week. And not the American kind. Talking with the others we have all kind of determined how incredibly unstructured the school system here is. I'm not being rude, simply saying how stressful it is walking into a classroom where half the kids are standing up, singing, talkig to others, walking in and out of the room when they please, while kids of other classes walk in and talk or peer through the barred open-air windows and chat. Not acceptable! It has been very difficult to work under this unorganizedness.. and it is so hard to communicate about the schedule for some reason, probably because I let it bother me so much. I am certainly learning how different teaching is here. I have also been reintroduced to my impatient side, which has had to be quelled by the only person who can make that go away, my amazing Father. I have had many freak-out moments and am learning slowly what it means that I am here. I am not here for the beaches... I am here to teach students English, to touch their hearts, and to overall discover and fulfill what it is the Lord has planned for me this summer. I was reading the book Mrs. Jenni gave me, "Experienceing the Depths of Christ" and it was talking about how to meditate on a single verse. so I searched for the keyword "patience" in my Bible and then stumbled upon the ever-popular I Corinthians 13. I read the first verse and stopped there. Not even on purpose, but the weight of the message hit me like a ton of bricks. "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." I can't just get up in front of those kids and sing English and expect them to learn. I have to have a heart for them and that love can only come from Love itself. Wow. That was amazing.

We have had huge rain storms here as well -- they seem like monsoons, they pound so hard on the tin roofs. The air does cool when they begin, though, which is nice, although the electricity frequently goes out as well.

Fressi and I have bonded a lot lately, with she sharing more to me about herself. We even sang some praise songs together in Spanish one day. She is Evangelical and so she knows a lot of the songs we listened to for Mexico! Rocio and I have bonded as well in hilarious conversations of previous boyfriends and searching out new ones on the beaches. She is so much fun and I really look forward to getting to know her more and finding out what is in her heart. She and the rest of my family are Catholic and they attended mass this week, although I'm not sure it is every week, or even regular at all.

I have been able to talk to Evie and Krista on the phone this week, as well, which was nice to hear their voices. I am now at the hacienda with everyone, but I will have to tell you about that later. Someone is waiting to use the computer! Hopefully we get to go to the internet again tomorrow! Cross your fingers! Thank you all so much for praying for me. I need it! This is the most amazing, hardest experience of my life thusfar. I can't tell you how amazing it is to know that you are on the other end of this message, and that you care. It means so much to me. Thank you so much for your prayers! I love you all so much!

--Amanda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

amanda!
i would ask "how are you?" but i just read some of that and it seems like you are amazing. amanda, this has been encouraging reading how you have been and seeing what the Lord is doing for you. I am so happy that God led you there and is constantly revealing himself to you. I will be praying for you. I love you my friend. I leave for Thailand in 9 days... how cool is it that we are going to be on different sides of the world. keep writing on here, so i can get more updates! later punk!
-Joel

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,
From what I read this sounds like the experience of a lifetime. I know you are growing and will continue to grow so much in your walk with the Lord. Joel and I were just talking about how crazy it is that God works in us wherever we are at whether it be Thailand, Costa Rica, or for me Destin, Florida. Alright Amanda, keep it real.
-Josh

Anonymous said...

oh girl, I feel like i'm reading a book or something! you are on SUCH an adventure right now and I am so excited for you! I really do think about you all the time, which leads to prayer of coarse :) I'm also excited to tell you that Rob called from Mexico tonight, he said that everything is going so well and to tell you that your beautiful darling Landri says that she loves and misses you. I'm having major missions ATMS with you in Costa and him in Mexico ah! Anyway, this is too long now but you know how I am and lets face it, you miss my rambling at least a little bit . . . right? haha I love you so much Amanda Faye and I'm going to go pray for you RIGHT NOW!

LauraS said...

afb. you're incredible. i love hearing all that God is doing in costa rica and with the people you are interacting with every day. i'm proud of you and i love you and i look forward to more and more updates! they are SO SO SO encouraging to me! i love you and i am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

gosh everyone is so deep on their comments.

all i have to say is that lauren said "coarse" instead of "course" and it made me laugh.

oh and she also told me "go read amanda's blog! she updated it!" that made me laugh too.

love you :)

Anonymous said...

aww that's sweet Amanda, laura can even make fun of me with you when you're in another country wow, thats so nice.

(i hope the sarcasm dripping from that comment doesn't mess up the computer)

Anonymous said...

First of all...Laura! Be nice!
Now Amanda! I miss you terribly! I think and pray for you all the time. You must be saturated in prayer! That's cool! I am so happy that God made this adventure possible for you. Remember, at the end of Song of Sol. it is said of the bride, "Who is this coming out of the wilderness, leaning on her Beloved?" That is what we will say of you! You will be so close to Jesus that you will hear His heart beat! Lean on Him! I love you!

Anonymous said...

laura.. lol.